Thursday 23 April 2009

Relaxing in Athens

My humble Athenian abode

Hello from Athens!

So far nothing too exciting has happened. I've signed the lease for my very first apartment and have been enjoying it at great length. This week was Tony's (second -humph-) Spring Break, so we've spent a majority of the time lounging about in the flat doing absolutely nothing, and it's been great. Traveling is all well and good, but I've been sight seeing and adjusting to new cultures since August and it's starting to get me down, so I really, really needed a breather. It's probably done me a lot more good than going out to brave the hills of Athens every day would've done at this point. Tomorrow, we're going to take our first big trip out and try to walk from my flat to Tony's dorm. It's about 6 km, so it should be a bit of a journey, but we have the promise of a farmer's market at the end of the line to keep us motivated, and it should be interesting. So far the most exciting thing to happen to me here was the breaking of my clothesline and the resulting loss of my towel and pajama pants. That was a sad day, and I seem to have bad luck when it comes to leaving things on clotheslines to dry in Greece; while in Crete I left 3 shirts out to dry and came home to discover they'd all flown away. I spent 15 minutes looking for them on the beach and had to retrieve 2 from the roof and gutter of the taverna in front of my room... the third one magically showed up at my door about 2 days later. There's a story there, I'm sure of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment